Monday 17 February 2014

1) Deplorable English, Witty puns

Philippines, as I discovered, is filled with puns.

Philippines is a punny country.

And this was a pleasant surprise to me. Why? Well, for starts, this was quiet unexpected. Yes, I know, that is what surprises are supposed to be... but this was unexpectedly surprising! Let me explain...

English, as spoken in the Philippines, is, in one word, deplorable (I was aiming for non-existent, but deplorable is close enough!). Tenses go for a six, so do articles  (as in  "I go C.R"), as for genders, let us just say, they are as mixed as the genders actually are.

Filipinos feel believe that they speak good excellent English


So he becomes she (both - literally as well as literary)

Genders aquire new meaning in Filipino English

On the other hand, the puns that one comes across, are witty, and most unexpected. Half the time, I am not even sure that the owner of the establishment that sports the punny name is even aware of it's meaning, leave alone the pun.

Having said that, they always bring a smile - and hence, I have decided to dedicate this blog to the puns I encounter in this odd country. Feel free to add to them, by dropping a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment